WORK WITH US!
Umoja is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Position: Multicultural Outreach Worker
Project: VMNW – Visible Minority Newcomer Women/Newcomer Digital Connect.
Hours of Work: 25 hours per week
Reports to: Project Supervisor
Start date: September 1, 2019
Job Summary: The Umoja Operation Compassion Society Digital Connect Project has been specifically designed to address particular barriers to employment faced by Vulnerable Minority Newcomer Women, by offering career and employment support services to achieve the following objectives:
- Contribute to improving Labour market integration outcomes of VMNW in targeted occupations and sectors through digital literacy.
- Contribute in improving organizational capacity through training,, tool development, curriculum development Partnership development and outcome measurement tool development.
The Multicultural Outreach Worker will provide direct client support through session facilitation, outreach support and community connection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct appropriate assessment of participants’ barriers, skills, education, experience, motivation, and employment readiness by using relevant assessment tools
- Provide home visits to clients
- To maintain accurate program data records and prepare program reports on a monthly
- Forges and maintains partnerships to support clients
- Accompanies clients to access necessary services
- Refers and connects clients to relevant programs and services
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the other programs to share information and help achieve organizational goals; work as an integral member of the project team
- Network with our designated employment partners in securing jobs for the clients
- Support in the marketing and promotional activities for the programs including the distribution of flyers and brochures, community agencies, organizations and WorkBC Centers
- Facilitate digital literacy sessions
- Support in the development and creation of digital literacy curriculum and program resources
- Conduct one on one sessions with participants on an ongoing basis to determine progress, troubleshoot and assist the participants in seeking solutions
- Connect participants with appropriate community resources
- Attend staff meetings and development workshops as required
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Education, Training and Experience
- Certificate in a related discipline and/or equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in outreach and/or community services
- 2 years’ experience working in employment services, specific experience in working Vulnerable minority communities.
- Hands on experience in dealing with program reports
Job Skills and Abilities
- Fluent in English; fluency in a second language (Arabic, Tigrinya) is desirable
- Knowledge of newcomer support approaches, and employment placement strategies
- Knowledge of local labour market issues
- Competence in networking and building relationships with various stakeholders.
- Strong leadership skills
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite and Social Media
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Standard First Aid/CPR an asset
How to Apply: Please submit application to email@example.com. Please use “THE VMNW– MOW” as the email subject.